Friday, August 5, 2011

SEW not cool...




Soo...a few of Ollie's blankets are in some desperate need of repair.

These blankets are fondly referred to as his "nigh-nighs" and are carried drug with us everywhere we go. On walks, to Wal-Mart, to Grandma's, through the living room, up the stairs, down the stairs, at the table...I could go on but I think you catch my drift. Needless to say, they are well loved.

"What could do such a thing to such a precious blanket?" you may be asking yourself. "Surely it was a terrible monster...like this:"



You'd think, wouldn't you? It was a moster of a different kind...dark like the night...with ferocious fangs...claws like razor blades...snores like a pig...I caught a picture of the monster while it was sleeping so you could see just how terrible it really is.



*sigh* Dogs.

Sooo...I've pulled out my brand new sewing machine that my parents gave me for my birthday...last year. Ahem...

Anyway, I'm thinking I can pull off fixing this thing before nap time is over, right? How hard could it be? Snip off the excess and hem it back up. Viola! Instantly and most beautifully fixed by yours truly. I was a 4-Her from 3rd-12th grades and I've sewed plenty of things in my day. How hard could it be? Ollie will then realize what a whiz his mama is and brag amongst all of his friends about my mad sewing skills. Heck, Aaron will probably tell all of his coworkers about what a perfect wife I am. I can sew, cook, clean, teach...not to mention what a hottie I am. Yes, this will work out fabulously. How hard could it be?

Now, I am a smartie. I read books. I decide that I should probably refresh my memory on things before I jump head over heals into this project so I read the manual on my new sewing machine. "Good idea, Mary," I say to myself.

Reading the manual got me here:


For you novice sewers, this is a picture of me filling the bobbin. (A bobbin is a little spool of thread that goes under the needle...kinda.)

Step #1 accomplished! "I'm so smart," I think smugly.

Now, to put the bobbin into place. I do, what I think is the correct move...incorrectly. I try again...and again...and again...and again. I apparently need to lower my status from expert to moderately challenged.

I go through a bit of thread.


I ponder calling one of the help lines. Maybe they'd send a repairman...who looked like this:


Although, he could look like this:


Perhaps I shouldn't risk it.

No need to panic. I get out my scissors and decide to poke at the bobbin and its innards. (I did wise up after the 4th poke and unplugged the machine.)


I go through a few more threads.


I call my mama for advice. She suggests a few things, but struggles to help from 160 miles away. :(

So, for now, my easy impossible project looks like this:


Is it fixed?
No.

Is that milk and chocolate chip zucchini bread there to comfort me?
Yes. :)

There's always a bright side, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. I may or may not have called my mom with this same problem (minus the fixing a blanket for my child...although she would prefer that over curtains)....it gets better. Seriously. Except my bobbin jams a lot. I guess it's a problem with Singers. So, if all else fails..just blame everything on the sewing machine...not lack of operator skills...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get it?? I have that same sewing machine and me, my mom, my dad, my husband, my sister, and her fiance watched the video user manual for nearly an hour trying to figure out the secret. The arm that sicks off the side of the bobbin (not the one you hold on to, the other one that seems to serve no purpose) needs to line up with the notch at 12:00 in the bobbin area. Once you do that, it works perfectly. I hate that dumb bobbin thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually took it in to get fixed and the repairman told me it would be an easy fix. Apparently the needle was hitting something down below. I mentioned that it wasn't the most expensive machine in the world so I didn't want to spend millions of dollars repairing it. He said they could fix it for $20-$25, but it would take 10 days. It's been more than 10 days. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete